Tuesday, August 22, 2006

To admit or not to admit…That is the Question!

More than six years, more than 1200 episodes, more television awards than any other soap on the Indian television, more number of characters than you care to remember, more drama than ever seen on Indian television before, more generations than can ever come together in reality….thats Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (KSBKBT).

Produced by Balaji Telefilms, the brainchild of Ekta Kapoor, who is the celebrated daughter of our own jumping jack of yesteryears, Jitendra, KSBKBT has been a subject of ridicule with the so called generation ‘X’. Well, actually it can be generalized to all the entire genre of the lovey-dovey-weepy-villainy soaps.

Why do people fall in love, why do they break up, why do they have extra marital affairs, why do they turn villainous, why and how do they scheme and plot so many things against each other, and above all, why do the ladies of the house keep crying all the time, is beyond the understanding of my generation people.

Making fun of those who watch such soaps and ridiculing everything about the characters, from the twentyish looking grandmother to the always overdressed Bahu’s, was something I considered to be my birthright, till fate took a 180 degree turn and hurled me on to the opposite camp!

It all started about two months back with giving company to a few others while they watched the episodes of KSBKBT religiously. Initially I spent all my time either reading a book or making fun of those watching the serial. Slowly, I was watching more of the serial and reading less. Then I stopped reading completely and started to discuss the serial with others who watched, and then a time came when I waited for the serial to start at 10.30 every night.

I am ashamed to admit that I have started watching the serial. Me? How can I watch a serial like this? I, who appreciates documentaries and art movies, how can I like meaningless stuff like KSBKBT? Well, the reality hits hard. The fact is that I have started enjoying the serial. It’s like a friend of mine once said, whether you like to admit or not, you get hooked on to Himesh Reshammia songs. ‘There is something about the nasal twang’, he said.

Similarly, there is something about KSKBT. From the background music of “Ram Ram Jai Raja Ram, Ram Ram Jai Sita Ram” to the dialogues of Tulsi, the episodes catch the imagination of the viewers. Will Tulsi come back to the palatial Virani house? Will she accept Mihir again? When they finally meet, for good, will Ekta Kapoor show that scene with Mihir sprinkling red color on Tulsi accidentally (the way it always happens when they meet)? Well when you are caught with such important questions, how can you stop watching the soap?

I guess the easy thing would be to just admit that it’s okay to watch such serials as long as you like them and are happy watching them. Wow, that’s some journey, from writing hard core finance articles to writing about KSBKBT. I guess the two can go hand in hand and I am definitely more at peace after admitting to the fact that I am addicted to the soap, just like I am addicted to the movement of the SENSEX.

No comments: